Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Day 3

Even better than Day 2. I really didn't have an urge to smoke at all today. Even after a delicious, spicy, and greasy chinese lunch. Mmmmm...chinese....Coffee is no problem either.

Once in awhile, in the car for example, I would think to myself "Shouldn't I be doing something?". I felt like my hands wanted to do what they've been doing for 14 years...reach out, grab the pack, take one out, put it in my mouth, and light it. But, the notion of doing so was very vague, sort of like a hazy memory.

This is what I really really really like about not smoking, thus far...
  • Not smelling like smoke. I was absolutely amazed today when I was driving home from work. The warm breeze (it was 70 degrees today!) flung a chunk of my hair right into my face. After narrowing avoiding death by telephone pole, I realized...I could smell my shampoo. ie...My hair smelled good! For non smokers, this may seem extraordinarily stupid. But, it is totally true. Usually you don't notice if you smell because you smell smoke all the time because you are smoking. (Duh) But, now! It was wonderful. Then I got home and made my husband (who is slowly quitting by the cut down method) smell it. He was all like, "ooooo, that's nice" and then I smell his hair...ugh. Totally stank like cigarette smoke.
  • I can take a deep breath again. As I mentioned in my previous bit, non smokers won't get this. Unless they've had pneumonia. Three days ago I couldn't take a deep breath without coughing immediately. Deep breaths include fun things like, um, laughing. So, every time I would really laugh, like belly laugh, I'd end up coughing until I gagged, like a dry heave but in cough form. It was horrible. Today, I was taking deep breaths all day and you know what? No coughing!!! I was singing along to music all the way home. It was great! :0
  • Ah, yes...the money. I haven't spent a dime on cigarettes in three days. I've been to the gas station and I didn't buy any. They asked me at the counter, "Is that everything?" and I got to say, "Yep". No cigarettes! Wooooo! It's like a freaking party. But, no one is invited, especially cigarettes. Hahahahahahah.
  • I'm waiting for a week to say anything to my mom. I know she'll be thrilled when I make it that long. She'll be even happier when I still don't smoke by the time her birthday comes around (exactly one month from the day I quit). That's right. I said when, not if. I know it. I'm done. :)
  • The fact that my husband is seeing how well I'm doing and it is helping him stay motivated to quit. He's basically doing it because we could use the money for more important things. He's actually already pretty motivated but I would like to think it helps him see me not smoking. I was even ok when he smoked in front of me. No problems. I hope it stays like this after I'm done with the patch.
  • My cats don't smell like cigarettes anymore. This makes me happier than words can describe. I hated that. Now, they will be healthier too!


So, success! I am happy!

No comments: